Prep Time: 15 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 3 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 pound cured pork belly
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 oz. honey
- 3 Tbsp. mustard powder
- 1 lb. pork belly
- In a small bowl, combine salt and sugar.
- Spread honey evenly over pork belly, then coat with mustard.
- Spread the salt and sugar mixture generously over the mustard.
- Place into a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate for 3 days.
- After three days have passed, remove the pork from the brine, rinse the belly, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Lay on a rack over a sheet pan and place in front of a fan for 1 hour to form a pellicle.
- Cold smoke for 4 to 6 hours. Use Apple Bisquettes
- Chill the meat in the freezer for 1 hour to stiffen for easy slicing into strips of bacon.
- Slice what you need and keep the remainder in a freezer safe bag in the refrigerator or freezer.