- 1kg floury potatoes such as Ilam Hardy
- 1/2 lb fresh chorizo sausage
- 3/4 cup mild Feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups fine bread crumbs
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel the potatoes, then roughly chop them into large chunks. Place them in a big pot of water, and generously season the water with salt. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer, and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes, until fork tender. Drain the potatoes and spread them out on a Bradley Magic Mat on a smoker rack.
- Set up your Bradley Smoker with Alder or Maple bisquettes at 87C (188F) degrees and place the smoker rack in the middle of the smoker. Smoke for about 20 mins, remove and place on a solid baking tray.
- Mash them well with a fork.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium high heat. While that heats up, remove the chorizo sausage from the casing, and when properly heated, add the chorizo to the pan. Brown the chorizo for about 5 minutes, until fully cooked through.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir to combine the mashed potatoes, chorizo, and feta. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Stir in 1 egg.
- Use a full tablespoon to portion out balls, and shape them with your hand. Set them out on a baking tray and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (and up to overnight), so they don’t fall apart when you fry them.
- Set up crumbing station with the bread crumbs in one dish and the other two eggs in the other. Whisk to blend the eggs, and season with salt and pepper. Dip each ball in the egg, let the excess drip off, and roll it in the bread crumbs.
- Heat up a deep fryer or deep frying pan with oil to 190C. Fry the croquettes for exactly 3 minutes until golden brown, then let them drain on a paper towel. Enjoy!
Serve with your favourite dipping sauces!
Original recipe by Joanne Ozug adapted by Bradley Smoker NZ.