Cut up 4 large onions from his crop this year into 1/4 inch slices and threw them onto a spare rack when he was doing some butts. Smoked them for an hour using special blend and pulled them out when they looked golden brown. Let them cool and stuck them in the fridge until he had time to make some smoked onion soup.
- 4 large onions cut into 1/4″ slices
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp. sugar
- black pepper to taste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 6 cups beef or veggie broth
- 1 cup of heavy cream (milk is optional)
- Place sliced onions on a rack and smoke for an hour using special blend. They are done when they are golden brown.
- Let the onions cool. They can be refridgerated until you’re ready to make soup.
- Melt butter, add olive oil.
- Heat and add onions to caramelize over med-high heat for up to half an hour.
- Add the garlic, turn down heat and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar.
- Add the red wine and reduce to a jam like consistency.
- Add flour, stir well and add broth a cup at a time.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, add cream and heat to almost boiling.