- 5 lbs fish; deboned
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup ice water
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 1 Tbsp powdered dextrose
- 1/2 Tbsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 2 1/2 tsp ground anise seed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp corn syrup solids (1/2 to 3/4 Tbsp of Splenda no calorie sweetener can be substituted)
- 8 ounces vegetable shortening
- fibrous casing (select size of your choice)
- Cool fish to at least 35 degrees F. Grind through 3/16′ plate. Add salt and mix thoroughly to bind. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Mix corn starch with ice water, add to ground fish and mix thoroughly.
- After liquid mixture is well combined with fish, add spices and shortening. Continue to mix until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Stuff the mixture into fibrous casings.
- Cook sausage in water 200°F – 205°F until internal temp reaches 180°F.
- Since this sausage is cooked immediately to such a high temperature, cures are not required.
- Cool in cold water or shower with cold water until internal temperature of 70°F is obtained The cooled sausage is then dipped in boiling water for one minute to tighten the casing.
- Remove fibrous casing just prior to serving.
- Keep refrigerated. This sausage also freezes well.
Fish sausage is very perishable and should be stored in a cold fridge, or frozen.