- 2.5 kg to 3 kg (5 lb to 6 lb) trimmed brisket
- 150 ml (2/3 c) dried cane sugar (dry in oven before using)
- 150 ml (2/3 c) garlic salt
- 125 ml (1/2 c) paprika
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) pepper
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) chilli powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) each of powdered beef bouillon, ground ginger, onion powder, ground coriander, cayenne pepper
- French’s ballpark mustard (lots)
- Smother the brisket with lots of the mustard.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together to create a rub.
- Roll the mustard-covered brisket in the rub.
- Using Mesquite flavor bisquettes, smoke and cook for approximately 10 hours. The damper should be open and the temperature should be steady at 80°C to 90°C (180°F to 200°F).
- Smoke for a minimum of 4 hours or longer depending on how strong a smoke flavor is desired.
- Remember this cut of meat is best cooked very slow and at low temperatures.
Slice meat thickly and serve with large crusty rolls and quality BBQ sauce. Ready to serve tip: never put BBQ sauce on the meat, serve it separately as a dip.