The prawn — 5 lbs. (2.25 kg)
Raw prawn must be used. Medium to large sized prawn work best. The expensive colossal size will offer no advantage. Peel the prawn, leaving the tail fins attached. Devein the prawn if you wish. Rinse in cold water and drain. Place the prawn on a paper towel; blot them to remove excess water. Refrigerate while preparing the marinade.
THE MARINADE for 5 lbs. (2.25 kg) of prawn
- 1 cup (240 ml) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) onion, minced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tomato catsup
- 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) oregano powder
- 5 tsp. (25 ml) Bradley Sugar Cure. (Do not use more than this amount.)
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) white pepper, finely ground
- 8 drops of hot sauce
Note: If the meat weighs either more or less than 5 pounds (2.25 kg), the amount of marinade used must be proportional to that weight. For example, if the weight of the meat is 2 1/2 pounds (1.15 kg), then each ingredient, including the Bradley Cure, needs to be cut in half.
- In a curing container (food container) large enough to hold the prawn, combine all of the marinade ingredients. Mix well.
- Add the prawn, and marinate in the refrigerator throughout the day and overnight. Stir from time to time.
- Smoke at about 200°F (93°C). After about 30 minutes, taste a prawn for doneness. Do not overcook. Overcooking prawn will cause them to become rubbery.
Note: If the salt taste is too mild, the next time you make this product, add about 1 teaspoon of salt to the ingredients list. If the salt taste is too strong, reduce the amount of Bradley Cure by about 1 teaspoon.
Instructions prepared by Warren R. Anderson, author of Mastering the Craft of Smoking Food.